For the fallen...
This site is an attempt to record and commemorate all those pupils and staff members of Bolton Church Institute School who lost their lives while serving their country during the First and Second World Wars.
Please use the navigation buttons on the left to enter the memorial pages.
If you would like to contact us, please use the online feedback form here
Bolton Church Institute
The School was founded in Bolton, Lancashire, England in 1855 on the initiative of the Reverend Canon James Slade, Vicar of Bolton and other prominent townspeople.
The School building itself was in Silverwell Street, off Bradshawgate, close to Bolton town centre and even closer to Bolton Parish Church, which can be seen in the background of the photographs below.
This is the School that would have been familiar to all those listed on our memorial.
Canon Slade Grammar School
Following recognition as a Direct Grant School under the 1944 Education Act, the Church Institute was renamed in June 1946 in honour of its senior founder as Canon Slade Grammar School.
As the new School grew, much larger premises were built on part of The Oaks Estate at Bradshaw (at that time just over the Bolton boundary in Turton). The first pupils arrived at the current site in January 1956.
Canon Slade School
The Grammar School later became a Church of England comprehensive secondary school and continues to flourish as Canon Slade School and Sixth Form.
The School made an effort to keep in touch with servicemen and women from the beginning of WW2, printing their letters in the School Magazine and asking for addresses so that Christmas parcels could be sent to them from the School and the Old Sladians. The Spring 1941 issue of the magazine listed 77 Old Boys and 2 Old Girls who were serving.
Mr H Brooke, who taught Geography and Games, wrote letters regularly to as many serving ex-pupils as he could. At the end of the war, through his knowledge, a list was drawn up of 22 known to have lost their lives on active service and 6 have been added since then. The Old Sladians collected subscriptions for a War Memorial in 1961 and this took the form of an altar and reredos for use in the Hall at Holy Communion services (see image below), together with a commemorative plaque and an Altar Book inscribed with the names.
At present the whereabouts of this Altar Book are unknown, if indeed it still exists.
James Wilkinson undertook research into the Second World War casualties in 1993 with the help of Mrs Judith Mary Smith (Head Girl in 1958), James Thomas Turner (at School 1925-30) and Peter Neville Walker (1938-45) and as a result the War Memorial Board was set up, first in the Hall and later moved to the Millennium Chapel.
Paul Dyson (staff 1966-72 and 1979-2005) researched the First World War, for which a new Memorial Board was dedicated in 2010, and has edited the material.
Brian Mills (1967-74), designed the website, constructed the family trees and researched additional material
www.bmillsdesigns.co.uk + www.bmillsresearch.co.uk
• Bolton Church Institute School Admissions Registers
• Bolton Church Institute School Magazine
• Bolton Journal and Guardian
• Bolton History Centre
• Commonwealth War Graves Commission
• Lancashire BMD
• Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
• Magdalen College, Oxford
• The National Archives
• The Long, Long Trail
...and many other online and archival resources.